Monday, August 6, 2018

The Apocalypse of Cleopatra

It's been too long since my last post, but I've found time to do a bit more creative writing. The following is a mystery school piece called "The Apocalypse of Cleopatra" written in first century Greek. I had to dig into the Woodhouse ancient Greek dictionary at times, but I finally managed to finish it.

I, Isis, was dreaming when Apollo appeared to me clothed in golden light. His limbs were mighty and his fingers were long, perfect for playing the lute. I said to him : "Brother, what news is there from Olympus?" He replied : "Everything is changeable, my sister. Even the gods die and are reborn. Come with me and gain wisdom!"

He brought me to Memphis by the power of Hermes where he showed me two pyramids floating in the sky, one pointing upwards and the other pointing downwards.

I saw starving men eating thistles, and women refusing to relinquish the bodies of dead children whom they had once nursed.

Crocodiles were swimming in the sand and birds fell from the sky. The bones of the dead were as dust, and the wind showed no mercy to them.

I despaired, but Apollo said : "Look closer." I looked at my reflexion in the water and I saw three faces. The first wore the royal jewels ; the second was anointed with oil ; and third was surrounded by a halo of light.

Then an elephant approached us and I saw that he had a red rose upon his brow. With my inner eyes I recognized him as the soul of Pythagoras. I saw the stars revolving around his magnificent form.


He bid me mount him and he carried me into the heavens, to the abode of Iphigenia, handmaiden of Artemis, who guards the mystery of the triple moon.

From the distant reaches of the firmament I saw that all things were in harmony. The three aspects were revealed to me, and I despaired no more.

I saw the lion of heaven devour the darkness, and Ra-Horus reigned. The earth was always fertile. Olive oil and frankincense were as plentiful as water and dates. I saw that the spirit moved among the people, and they would purify the world.



No comments:

Post a Comment