Sunday, June 17, 2018

Welcome

Welcome to the blog of the Zen Rosicrucian. What is that, you may ask ? In short, it is the practice of zazen in contemplation of Rosicrucian symbolism.

The original Rosicrucian manuscripts of the 17th century combined anti-authoritarian Reformist Christianity with esotericism, syncretism and spiritual alchemy, whereas the prominent Rosicrucian fraternal organizations of today, such as AMORCCR+C and SRIA incorporate a broad focus of structured study and practice largely revolving around concepts that were trendy in the Edwardian era (Egyptology, Atlantis, examination of psychic phenomena).

As a Zen Rosicrucian, I practice a more minimalist approach, according the maxim Calix iam plenus replevit non potest, or "you can't refill a cup that's already full". Through simple meditation on Rosicrucian imagery, I try to empty myself and allow my conscious and unconscious minds to explore the symbolism as they will, treating that symbolism, after a fashion, as a form of Zen koan.

If this concept intrigues you, I invite you to read further.

How do I practice ?

Typically, I set up my small Rosicrucian altar, fill the brass bowl with water, light candles and incense and, seated before the altar in typical zazen fashion, I mediate quietly, allowing my thoughts to flow freely. Afterwards, I take the bowl to the sink and use the water for a post-meditative ablution.

This ablution was added at the suggestion of my Neopagan sister-in-law, who says it improves my aura. I don't know whether this is true, but I like it as a calming and cleansing way to conclude my practice.

What I hope to experience generally during meditation is a sense of inner joy, as Buddhists might put it, but this doesn't always come to me. However, it's important not to have too much attachment to any particular goal. In sese ire est ire extra tempus — to go into yourself is to go outside of time, to escape your own drives and thus meet yourself in a state of renewal.

I hope you've enjoyed this introductory post, and hopefully more will accrue.

No comments:

Post a Comment